Monday, October 14, 2013

Apple Cinnamon Waffles

How 'bout them Eagles?? :) Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the Jets but at least the Giants lost again! Sorry, Ryan.*

Rather than try a new slow cooker recipe this week (we had the chili again), we opted to make these before the 1:00 games started.

Yes, we eat at our coffee table like college students #bejealous; and yes, I need to work on my food presentation and photography skills #tastesbetterthanitlooks.

Apple Cinnamon Waffles

I cut this in half and got 4 waffles

2 cups all purpose flour
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 3/4 cups milk
6 Tbsp. vegetable oil (I used coconut oil)
2 large eggs
2 apples, diced (I used granny smith)
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. cinnamon

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Pour batter, one 1/2 cup at a time, into heated waffle iron. We have this Cuisinart Waffle Iron and I used setting 4 for these. I probably could have gotten away with 5. I think the apples keep the batter from crisping up on the outside as quickly as plain waffle batter does. But, if you like a floppy waffle, go ahead and use setting 3. As you can see from the picture above, we not only like extra crispy waffles but extra crispy bacon too.

I would also recommend removing the batteries from your smoke alarm prior to making these. I was reminded why we took the batteries out in the first place and had been living without a smoke alarm for 4 years: because apparently, cooking anything (even boiling water) sets them off. Annoying as that is, I still don't feel comfortable leaving the batteries out after this incident on the neighbor's balcony; especially with Little Dude on the way. So, we take them out when we cook and put them back afterwards.

I hope everyone enjoyed Sunday Funday this week!

*Ryan is my husband's older brother and I just found out he subscribes to my blog. He's also a Giants fan - feel bad for him. He's pretty much exactly what I imagined an older brother would be like - picks on me every chance he gets, can be moody and annoying, and is a ton of fun to drink with. And I'm sure he shares those sentiments and would say that I'm exactly how he pictured an annoying little sister would have been had he been blessed with one. Lucky for him, I showed up and married his baby brother. 

This is Ryan at a Kenny Chesney concert about 5 years ago...





...and this is him about 6 hours later. I told you he's fun to drink with!



 Thanks for reading, buddy! ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment