Monday, September 23, 2013

Slow Cooker Chili


We love fall in this house. And I love my slow cooker. We especially love Sundays in the fall when we can throw something in the slow cooker, open the windows, veg out on the couch, and watch football all day. This recipe is a fan-favorite on football Sundays and it makes great leftovers (which seem to disappear quicker than most of my kitchen creations). I've adapted the recipe from a combination of different chili recipes and our personal tastes and I think I've finally perfected it. Also, it is super easy to double if you have a large slow cooker and are expecting a big crowd.

Slow Cooker Chili


Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef or turkey (I strongly recommend using grass-fed meat. We get ours from our local butcher shop)
2 cans low sodium tomato soup
1 can kidney beans, drained
1can black beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
1 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 Tbsp. garlic powder
1/2  Tbsp. ground cumin
black pepper and sea salt to taste

For toppings:
Cheddar cheese, shredded (I also strongly recommend not buying the pre-shredded kind. Did you know they add sawdust to this to keep it from sticking together? Gross.)
Sour Cream
Corn chips (I like to get the Scoops kind so that you can make little mini-chili bowls out of them while you eat - #getinmybelly!)

Cooking instructions:
Brown the meat in a skillet and add to slow cooker once browned and cooked through.
Add remaining ingredients (except topping ingredients) to your slow cooker and stir to incorporate. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours. Serve in bowls and top with shredded cheddar, sour cream and chips.




No comments:

Post a Comment